Consuelo is a second generation Texas native born in the West side barrios of San Antonio, Texas. Her Native American ancestors come from Coahuila and Nuevo Leon, Mexico.
In November 1996, Consuelo became a Professional Storyteller. She has performed in Mexico, throughout the United States, and extensively in Texas. Consuelo loves to share the richness of her Mexican-Indian culture and her primary language, Spanish. She produced the First Tejas Hispanic Storytelling Festival in 1998 and produced and directed this unique festival from 1999-2004 in Austin, Texas.
Consuelo shares her performing art of storytelling and speaking in various venues. She shares her heritage through history, folk lore, folk tales, personal and shared heritage stories and poetry. Her repertoire also includes Ghost Stories. Unique bilingual blends and "noise makes", as well as her use of shawls and costumes add interest to her storytelling style. Her services include educational workshops for children and adults, in addition to in-service/training workshops and public speaking engagements. She relates to her audiences through a different perspective- as a native and a foreigner. Consuelo's vast repertoire can accommodate most venues.
She currently serves on the Harker Heights Public Library Board. She is as part time educator for Killeen Independent School District.
Photo by: Bobbie Sale She was an application systems computer programmer/analyst until she rediscovered the oldest profession in the arts...storytelling.
- Central Texas College : Associates of Applied Science
- Selected to Who's Who Among Students in American Junior Colleges
- Under the Work-Study Program:
- Assisted in establishing a branch Western Union at the USO for Service Personnel
- Assisted in teaching Citizenship for Immigrants.
- Texas A & M Central Texas: Bachelor of Science - Computer Science/Minors: Business & Math
- Epsilon Delta Pi
- Delta Theta Kappa
- University of Houston- Clear Lake: Graduate Studies in Management Science
- UT Graduate school of Public Affairs Leadership : Innovation 88
- Among the Recipients of 4 of Top 5 Graduation Awards.